Check out UUANI’s Facebook group to see UUANI Board member Bill Sasso speaking out for a responsible budget in Carbondale and UUs advocating in Springfield!
Congratulations to those in the Champaign-Urbana area who helped get Sen. Bennett to sign on as the 30th co-sponsor (out of 60 Senate members) of the Clean Jobs bill!
Promoting Justice, Equity and Compassion: A Responsible Budget and a Fair Tax
Illinois’ budget impasse and regressive income tax continue, affecting those most vulnerable among us most severely. The Fair Tax has about 2/3 of the votes it needs to pass, while we continue to advocate for a responsible budget, targeting efforts on key districts around the state.
- Come to one of the upcoming community meetings in Des Plaines, Highland Park or Jacksonville to support a responsible solution to the state budget crisis.
- Follow up on recent advocacy in Springfield by composing your own message to your elected representatives to urge them to pass a responsible budget.
- Follow up on recent advocacy in Springfield by composing your own message to your elected representatives to urge them to support a Fair Tax.
Affirming Worth and Dignity [I]: Ending Unlimited Solitary Confinement
A bill to limit solitary confinement in Illinois prisons for the first time has been introduced by Rep. Ford. We continue to advocate for limits on this cruel and unusual form of punishment.
Affirming Worth and Dignity [II]: Police Accountability Reform and Ending Lifetime Employment Bans
Bills removing obstacles to filing police misconduct complaints and barriers to employment for people with records continue to collect co-sponsors. We continue to advocate that everyone be treated fairly and given a fair chance to be a productive member of society.
- Click here to urge your state legislators to support police accountability reform.
- Click here to urge your state legislators to end lifetime bans on employment.
Respecting the Interdependent Web: Clean Jobs
Negotiations continue between the Clean Jobs Coalition and energy producers, but the Clean Jobs bill has by far the most legislative support. We continue to advocate for clean jobs, clean energy, and a healthy planet.
- Click here to sign a comment card in support of the Clean Jobs bill to Gov. Bruce Rauner, IL EPA Director Lisa Bonnett, and your state legislators.
- Sign up here for the Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition Earth Day of Action and Climate Justice on April 21. Don’t forget to wear your yellow Standing on the Side of Love shirt! UUANI buttons will also be available.