September 29, 2019 ~ Special Congregational Meeting ~ ALUUC
September 29 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Please plan to attend a Special Congregational Meeting after the service on September 29, 2019.
We will need to vote on two resolutions (more details are below):
- To approve the Sanctuary Addition Building Project, with authorization to obtain a mortgage
- To approve the transfer of $200,000 from our Endowment Fund to help fund this project
If you have questions or concerns, or if you would like to make a donation, please feel free to contact the Committee members: Deborah Hagan, Chairperson; Gwen Childs, Larry Muir, Kurt DeWeese, Diana DeWeese, Lori Leytem, Bob Croteau, David Cation, Martin Woulfe, Kim Villanueva.
from the Building Expansion Committee…
As presented at the Annual Meeting on June 9th, the ALUUC Board appointed a Building Expansion Committee to the explore the feasibility of building a new Sanctuary addition. This project was part of the 4-phase plan adopted when our current facility was built, and completion of the Sanctuary was identified as a top priority in our latest Long Range Planning process. We have been working with an architect, who has designed a Sanctuary about 1.5 times the size of our present multi-purpose room, which will then become a dedicated Fellowship Hall. This will allow us to have tables set up in advance for coffee hours, potlucks, wedding and funeral receptions, fundraisers, party and community group rentals, and so forth. The prospect of not having to constantly move chairs and tables for Sunday services is very exciting! The preliminary estimate for this addition is approximately $1.5 million.
This sounds daunting, but we have a very strong foundation to build upon:
- We have several very generous bequests earmarked for expansion, primarily from beloved members
Posy Robertson, Berkley Moore and Fred Dietz.
- We have had good investment returns in recent years. Our Treasurer and Finance Committee feel confident that we can afford to use $200,000 from our Endowment Fund, which was created to help us with major projects.
- As of August 18th, congregational pledges have reached $117,000, and we hope to add more pledges in the coming month.
We will need to secure bank financing for the portion that we cannot raise. The Building Expansion Committee will continue to work with the architect to get firmer estimates on certain items, discuss ideas to lower costs, and make necessary revisions. Every dollar donated by ALUUC members and friends will help us reduce the final mortgage amount needed!