Email Announcements & Newsletter | Regular ALUUC Emails
Our Congregation uses MailChimp, a ‘freemium’ bulk mail service, for our official email announcements and to send out our Focus newsletter. We think this is a wonderful tool, especially for not-for-profits.
How to sign up
Please send an email request to email@example.com with your email address, name, and your subscription preferences. We send two types of emails: Weekly Announcements (includes service announcements and and other special announcements), and our Monthly Focus Newsletter.
Are you not receiving our emails?
Sometimes, our MailChimp-based emails may go to our subscribers’ Spam folders, and/or if they are a Gmail user, their Promotions tab.
Emails going to Spam
If our emails are going to your Spam folder, you will want to do some of the following depending on your email provider:
- Mark it as ‘Not Spam’.
- Add the email address to your preferred contacts list.
- ‘Whitelist’ the email address
- Set up a filter so that it does not go to spam. If you are a Gmail user, read below on how to set this up.
Gmail account sending emails to Promotions tab
If you are a Gmail user, MailChimp emails are categorized as a Promotion, and are put in the ‘Promotions’ tab by default. Some users have this tab option turned off, but it is the out-of-the-box setup for Gmail, so many users have it turned on. If you would like to send it to your ‘Personal’ tab by default, you will need to set up a filter.
Creating a filter on Gmail.
- Find one of the ALUUC emails and open it.
- At the top, click on the More dropdown menu, and select ‘Filter messages like these. The Create Filter dialog will open.
- Erase what is already written in the ‘Has the words’ section, and replace with the text-string ‘aluuc‘ (without the quotes). Click ‘Create filter with this search >>’ at the bottom.
- On the next page of the dialog, do the following:
- Check the box for ‘Never send it to Spam’
- In the ‘Categorize as:’ section, select ‘Personal’, and be sure the box is checked.
- Check the box next to the ‘Create filter’ button that says ‘Also apply filter to # matching conversations’ – this will find all ALUUC emails in your email and apply filter to them also.
If you prefer, you can also ‘Apply the label:’ in this dialog box for labels/folders where you would like to put ALUUC emails.
- Click the ‘create filter’ button. ALUUC emails will now go to your ‘Personal’ folder, and never go to Spam.
Regular ALUUC Emails
Our Congregation currently hosts our website with GoDaddy, including our organization’s email accounts. If you are not receiving email from an @aluuc.org address (this does not include our regular announcements and newsletters), please check your spam folders, and follow our suggestions for preventing emails from being sent to spam.
Additionally, GoDaddy-based email is known to conflict with certain providers, among them include AOL and Hotmail, which have been known to block emails from GoDaddy’s servers. If you are not receiving email from an @aluuc.org address (this does not include our regular announcements and newsletters), you may need to contact your email provider about unblocking emails from GoDaddy’s servers.